Class system?

What would like to see in Hellhunter?
Nighteyes
Cursed Mod
Cursed Mod

Class system?

Postby Nighteyes » 30 Nov, 2016

Elsewhere on the Board a suggestion about including some for of classes was suggested (or at least that's how I interprited it ^^ ) and I thought it was a valid idea to discuss.

Personally I'm not a great fan of classes as their restrictions on gameplay will often only be visible after several hours of play and their effect/playstyle might change drasticly from early game to late game.

I however do like the idea of being able to give your character a certain distinction during character creation.
For those who played the patched version of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines you might know where I'm going with this.
In this game during character creation, you can choose a History trait for your character which gave you certain bonuses, but also certain drawbacks, very akin to the artifacts discussed here on the board actually.

Now since we haven't seen any indications that Hellhunter will actually have any stats aside from Health, Armor and Damage (Yes, I know, I had to go back and check myself), also of course there is a currency, there appears to be few stats that can be effected by starting history.
However it seems easy to envision Backgroud traits that could effect things like Starting equipment.

Trustfund: You start with x amount of additional funds. However due to your upbringing you are used to living in style and some/all purchases will cost x addition $.

Soldier: You spent your youth in the armed forces. You do x amount of additional damage with some/all weapons. You have however picked up a solid amount of superstitions during your time in the forces which makes you reluctant to use Supernatural means in the fight. Limit uses of Artifacts/Relics.

librarian: You time was spent with your nose in a book rather than being active. You have a easier time deducing the creature you are facing just from the rumors about the site. Gain 1 clue as to the creatures type at the start of the level.
Your physical frailty redues your maximum health by x

Just a few suggestions off of the top of my head.
Anyways, what do you guys think?

Jet Strange
Novice
Novice

Re: Class system?

Postby Jet Strange » 01 Dec, 2016

Nighteyes wrote:Elsewhere on the Board a suggestion about including some for of classes was suggested (or at least that's how I interprited it ^^ ) and I thought it was a valid idea to discuss.

Personally I'm not a great fan of classes as their restrictions on gameplay will often only be visible after several hours of play and their effect/playstyle might change drasticly from early game to late game.

I however do like the idea of being able to give your character a certain distinction during character creation.
For those who played the patched version of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines you might know where I'm going with this.
In this game during character creation, you can choose a History trait for your character which gave you certain bonuses, but also certain drawbacks, very akin to the artifacts discussed here on the board actually.

Now since we haven't seen any indications that Hellhunter will actually have any stats aside from Health, Armor and Damage (Yes, I know, I had to go back and check myself), also of course there is a currency, there appears to be few stats that can be effected by starting history.
However it seems easy to envision Backgroud traits that could effect things like Starting equipment.

Trustfund: You start with x amount of additional funds. However due to your upbringing you are used to living in style and some/all purchases will cost x addition $.

Soldier: You spent your youth in the armed forces. You do x amount of additional damage with some/all weapons. You have however picked up a solid amount of superstitions during your time in the forces which makes you reluctant to use Supernatural means in the fight. Limit uses of Artifacts/Relics.

librarian: You time was spent with your nose in a book rather than being active. You have a easier time deducing the creature you are facing just from the rumors about the site. Gain 1 clue as to the creatures type at the start of the level.
Your physical frailty redues your maximum health by x

Just a few suggestions off of the top of my head.
Anyways, what do you guys think?

Hmmm, I didn't catch on that i was making classes... What I was getting at just is (And I told you in private) I didn't like the fact that he's hunting alone. Now as for your idea OOO yea! I do remember the history traits that would be a good feature for this game indeed:).

Nighteyes
Cursed Mod
Cursed Mod

Postby Nighteyes » 02 Dec, 2016

We could easily call i something else, but you were suggesting putting limitations on characters at creation. That is pretty much classes and classes is a term most gamers understand easily and has a understanding of how they work.

But do you have any suggestions for Background traits?
Either to the ones I've already throw out there or maybe for others?

sam
Novice
Novice

Postby sam » 02 Dec, 2016

I would like to see my choice will have a deeper impact. For example, I chose the beginning of the "Soldier", then I opened the "List of Feats", there will be some "Common Feats", and there are some feats is only "Soldier" can choose. I'm a Soldier, maybe I can choose "Rush", so I will have faster speed. Then or I would choose "Instant Reaction", then I will get the "reaction points", I can consume them to enter the "bullet time". Or I can choose "Good Stuff", so I can buy special equipment in the black market, this equipment is only available to me.

chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

Postby chai » 09 Dec, 2016

Classes is an interesting one, many ways to approach it.
It seems to work best in party based games, be it rpgs like Dragon Age, or even online shooters like Battlefield.
Another interesting take is starting point, e.g. Dark souls starter equipment & skills, giving flavor without imposing restrictions.
But then again I always pick deprived ...

Nighteyes
Cursed Mod
Cursed Mod

Postby Nighteyes » 09 Dec, 2016

chai wrote:But then again I always pick deprived ...

Well, just because you hate yourself doesn't mean the rest of us do <3

Return to “Suggestions”