What artifacts would you like to see in Hellhunter?

What would like to see in Hellhunter?
chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

What artifacts would you like to see in Hellhunter?

Postby chai » 19 Nov, 2016

In this thread, we want to hear your craziest ideas for artifacts! :)

KS update #11, we've unveiled the Stalingrad Boots of Torment.

This seems a good format to start this thread rolling, so that's "name", "story", and "stats" including power/curse.

chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

Re: What artifacts would you like to see in Hellhunter?

Postby chai » 19 Nov, 2016

STALINGRAD BOOTS OF TORMENT
"Lieutenant Vasily Maslenkov, was known as the cat with nine lives during WW2’s battle of Stalingard.
One day he disappeared without a trace. Despite major research efforts .. all his platoon could ever find were these pair of worn boots, laying over a pool of blood."

Armor: 5 (medium)
Mobility: 80% (slightly restricted, no noise penalties)
Powers: 50% chance to dodge incoming projectiles
Curse: Rare chance for dark creepers to appear and attack user
Materials: Stalingrad’s outer, Stalingrad’s skull emblem, kelpie hair laces, werewolf sole, Silver eyelets

Nighteyes
Cursed Mod
Cursed Mod

Postby Nighteyes » 22 Nov, 2016

I'll start going through my book collection and see what pops out at me as possibilities...
But could you possibly give a little more hints at your current thoughts?

How much (if any) magic should the Hunter be allowed to wield?
Look at Supernatural where Sam at one point got telekenetic.

Something with visions of the future could be very interesting...
Call it a book that as you enter a level has a x% possibility of revealing a clue as to what this levels big bad is.

Of course the counter point is "Be careful looking into the darkness, lest it looks into you" so it'll have a probability of warning the creature of your arrival.
It could be something as simple as letting it do slightly increased damage to the hunter, or allow it to know what loadout you choose from the van and maybe counteract some of it in some way
it could decrease the timer for investigation.
maybe allow the creature to call for reinforcements

Both sides of it will need some fleshing out, just an idea that popped up when mentioning Sams abilities and I wanted to put it to the page before I forgot it.

chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

Postby chai » 22 Nov, 2016

Magic might be rare, but "infinitely" powerful, and the more power the worse the curse :P

So basically, go crazy and have fun with it, using the template from Stalingard Boots above will make it easier to read for others :)

VampireHunterD
Novice
Novice

Postby VampireHunterD » 23 Nov, 2016

You guys listed WW2 pistol in the upcoming backer achievement, it reminded me of a weapon from the anime Gungrave
Aight here goes, bear with me if it sounds silly ^^

HAMMERHEAD M1911
"An experimental WW2 era pistol for firing high caliber rounds in an explosive shattering, with a terrible knockback that throws ordinary humans back. While its issues made it obsolete, its ability to preserve specialized rounds (e.g. ultra violet) makes it a praised Hellhunter weapon"

Damage: High
Speed: Slow
Power: Explosive heavy rounds AOE (regardless of ammo type)
Curse: Rare chance for dark creepers to appear and attack user
Materials: Various pistol parts to collect, wraith ectoplasm (for reinforcement)

chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

Postby chai » 23 Nov, 2016

Awesome! :)

VampireHunterD
Novice
Novice

Postby VampireHunterD » 24 Nov, 2016

chai wrote:Awesome! :)

:D

Pneumonica
Novice
Novice

Postby Pneumonica » 24 Nov, 2016

This might not work depending on how you do evidence gathering, but if it fits it's a great risk mechanic.

Boole's Camera

This is a digital video camera used by a capable hunter and recorded many obscene events. The hunter was arrested for crimes committed in the course of his actions, and was accused of some of the crimes committed by some of the horrors he faced. He died of a lethal injection. The camera carries on his work, but also carries the scars of his prior work.

This camera functions as a high-quality recording device, useful for gathering evidence. It is also capable of picking up things normally invisible to cameras, and in a pinch might be used as a spotting device (though it's a camera, not a scope, so you can't mount it on a rifle). Unfortunately, it will sometimes multiply the problem, providing evidence of a horror that isn't actually there... or wasn't up until it started turning up evidence. This device will infrequently multiply your problems.
"If the bureaucracy is not checked, it will tend to build, in the name of peace, a defense against every conceivable contingency - so much 'security' that 'the secured' are without resources - helpless and hopeless."
-Leonard Read

Nighteyes
Cursed Mod
Cursed Mod

Postby Nighteyes » 29 Nov, 2016

Samhein Amended Meticulously or Hunters Haunted Handbook

The diary of a long-forgotten hunter detailing all her knowledge gathered over a lifetime of fighting the supernatural. Other hunters have found it throughout the years and added to it as seen in the different handwritings and styles of entry.
However, it’s long exposure to the supernatural have rubbed off on the book and possibly even followed by the spirits of hunters killed with the book in their possession the book now carries a greater risk with it’s use than simply the will to fight the supernatural.

Primary effect: Using the book at the end of the investigation segment will let you guess at the creature you are facing and give you a binary answer (Right/Wrong) before you make your gear selection.

Secondary effect: The book will help you identify potential supernatural occurrences on the “overworld map”

Curse: Any time you use the book, you risk getting caught in the memories you are reading, being sucked into the encounter you were studying. You now have to fight your way out of the memory. This doesn’t have to be a physical fight every time. It could also be a deduction puzzle or similar to represent you getting caught in your own head and have to find your way out by setting things in the right order.

Materials: either a shit load of other hunters’ research or it is simply a boss drop or similar, personally I would think it being something you find would be far more in line with the lore I just made up :)

Notes: When affected by the curse and successfully returning to your real time, you could potentially use some of the things you learned in the vision to start a sidequest finding the Hunter involved in the vision. If this means you find a retired Hunter to be your ally or you find a monster to slay to avenge her is entirely unknown, but it could be a fun incentive to use the book.
If this happens after you've been sucked in the first time or you have to be sucked in a specific number of times or it's simply a % chance of happening after each time I dunno.
Still I like the idea of artifacts being able to start new questlines instead of just being a reward at the end of a questline

Inspired by a post by Sam (hence the first title) elsewhere on this forum.

chai
Deprived Dev
Deprived Dev

Postby chai » 02 Dec, 2016

@Pneumonica hah lovely stuff, we didn't even consider cursed detectors, and this opened all sorts of possibilities!

@Nighteyes nice story man, this also gives me a lot of ideas for the nightmare enemy which is still in heavy development.

Return to “Suggestions”